[Savannah-register-public] [task #9624] Submission of Objectify

From: J. Scott Edwards
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9624] Submission of Objectify
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:29:01 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, *approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific Group
Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10323> page*,
accessible only to site administrators, effectively *logged as site
administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=10323>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *Objectify*
* System Name:  *objectify*
* Type: non-GNU software & documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later (None.)

----

My project started out as an experiment to try storing data as objects in a
format more native to computers, instead of reading files, converting them to
the format the program needs, doing whatever processing, then converting the
data back to a file or files for storage.

While developing this paradigm I needed securely store a bunch of files so I
decided, on a whim, to make a file object and store the files using my system.
 Until such time that I could store the data in the manner I had originally
planned.

The basic idea is to have all of my data (files for now) stored in one place,
instead of spread over the dozen computers I use.  I have one thing to worry
about backing up, etc.  I eventually plan to have it be distributed over all
of my machines.

At this point I have over 20,000 files stored using it.  In addition to the
normal encryption, I added a swizzle of the data to make it more difficult to
decrypt.  It can be used to store files in a disk partition, USB drive, or USB
stick to store the data.  It also can keep track of files burned to a CD or
DVD and verify the disc.

All of the main code is written in C.  I have one program that plays music,
which is written in Fine (a compiler which I derived from the GNU SmallEiffel
compiler) as a test.

There are many things about my project that I think are interesting, too many
to go into detail here.  One example is the integration of public and private
data, where the public data is shared by all users.  I.E. all users can
contribute to a public database, which all other users can make use of.

==== Other Software Required: ====
The only dependency is linking with the openssl library (-lcrypto) which is
included on all of the systems I tested it on.  Some code from the GNU
coreutils is included with my code.

All of the development of this code has been done on GNU/Linux, various
distributions, over the years.  This year I have been doing all of the
development on gNewSense.

It runs far better on GNU/Linux than any other system I've tried it on.  For
example I tested it on a MacBook running Mac OS X and it was terribly slow.  A
task that would take under 10 minutes on GNU Linux, I estimated would have
taken 18 hours to complete on the MacBook.  I have not had time to investigate
this phenomenon further.

==== Other Comments: ====
I think one cool thing about my project is that it will demonstrate the power
of Free Software.  I plan to integrate it with many other GNU programs, such
as the GIMP, so that they can directly access data stored in my system.  To me
that is the power of Free software, that it allows me to develop my software
and integrate it in with all of this other great software.  It would be
impossible to do what I want to do in the proprietary software world.  Well,
it would be impossible for me since I don't have billions of dollars to throw
around :)

Please note that if you plan to actually build the programs in the tarball
you need to download the public objects too:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/objectify/Public%20Objects/090522-0030/public-090522-0030.gz

To build you have to do a couple of extra steps:

gunzip /path/to/public-090522-0030.gz
export OBJECTIFY_PUBLIC_PATH=/path/to/public-090522-0030

Then just the normal:

./configure
make

If you just want to play with it the easiest thing to do next is:

export OBJECTIFY_PRIVATE_PATH=/tmp/private.obj
export OBJECTIFY_LOG_FILE_PATH=
export OBJECTIFY_BACKUP_PATH=
src/apps/util/prep_disk

This will disable the log and backup files and create an archive in
/tmp/private.obj

Then you can do:

src/apps/file/import_file *.[ch]
src/apps/file/verify_file --remove-no-shred *.[ch]

All of the .c and .h files should be gone now.

src/apps/file/export_file *.[ch]

Should restore all of them.  You can also run/look at the test scripts in the
testing directory.

==== Tarball URL: ====
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/objectify/Objectify/Alpha_30.4/objectify-alpha_30.4.tgz

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9624>