silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Rebranding Silpa Project

From: Santhosh Thottingal
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Rebranding Silpa Project
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 20:29:28 +0530

Even though git is distributed a canonical repo location is required - with the understanding that it has all the changes from all team members. Also a single point for tracking issues, enhancements and Pull requests.

So in that aspect I don't have any different opinion from Vasudev here. Anyway it is upto developers to agree on that canonical location and make use of the valuable volunteer time for things that help others.

Having said that, let us not forget these things are happening and potentially will happen again - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8811180 (ISPs blocking github in India). So we may have to change our minds or have Plan B or at least recommend to have mirrors(somebody has to maintain-yes, overhead). I see gitlab is the immediate choice for that -I have been using that and they are (shamelessly?) copying the UX of github. Did not see any glitches there so far.

Thanks
Santhosh