sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS debian package

From: Jeffrey Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS debian package
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:56:39 -0400

On Apr 20, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> I suspect the trickiest parts might be thinking about how to get a
> smooth upgrade from 1.1.1 and possibly how to deal with a transition to
> a newer version of bdb or ocaml.  But i haven't looked into it beyond that.

Berkeley DB _ALWAYS_ has backward compatibility in format,
but log format's change nearly every release. Lose the logs
(and __db* files) during upgrade, and the transition should be easy:
        dbXY_checkpoint -1
        dbXY_recover -v
(where XY is the "old" version) before upgrade will save you mucho pain.

(aside from 1st hand experience)
Watch out for db-5.2.19 -> db-5.2.25 however. Someone
at Sunacle had a brain fart that could have been avoided
if anyone had bothered to examine this output:
        http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/libdb.html
before doing a "release".

Credits and disclaimers:
        ISPRAS == Institute of Systems Programming, Russian Academy of Sciences
                basically the people who have put a lot of "muscle" into LSB

Smart guys too: several are my current bosses. ;-)

Short answer:
        This URL is incredibly useful:
                http://upstream-tracker.org/
        and not just for Berkeley DB.