sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS debian package

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS debian package
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 01:14:39 +0200

Jeffrey, it's a bit strange, to read you claiming Debian would have lack
of skill / etc. while you try to convince us of static linking, or at
least that's what I think you do.

Whether BDB has a big CVE record or not doesn't  matter at all, as
security holes (or other critical) bugs can just always be found and
then one has a problem with static linking,... even if you don't
technically link static, but just include a shared lib in sks
package,... you're end up with all the same problems.

Apart from that, I don't see any advantage of that way, you'd have told
us so far?

You'd still have the problem that sks, in some way, would need to be
adapted (eventually) to current BDB releases...
Given that projects may not be able to do this immediately, I considered
it to be quite handy if distros like deb ship more than just one major
BDB release (although, ideally it would be just the most recent one).

Nevertheless, it's open source and you're free to do (more or less)
whatever you want.

I can just tell you that no distro will take such packages (if they
know) when you can't tell them very strong reasons.

And I can just suggest sks developers not to follow that way.

Chris.