sks-devel

Re: 6 million

From: Todd Fleisher
Subject: Re: 6 million
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 13:41:35 -0700

On Apr 14, 2020, at 12:35, brent s. <address@hidden> wrote:

Excuse me if I sound like a troll. It is a valid question, because as you
may know public keys on SKS keyservers can be knocked out or not so nice
data can be added to them, thus not protecting users key.

That is not how any of the attacks work. At all. A keyserver can be
brought down but that doesn't magically put the integrity of the keys at
risk to tampering. (If it did, you'd have an issue with GnuPG or PGP,
not SKS.) Users' keys are protected just fine.

Maybe I’m interpreting it differently, but I think Brent brings up a fair point here. The so-called “posoined keys” with thousands of (bogus) signatures in SKS are rendered useless. This happened to my key last year so now people have to obtain it from other locations outside of SKS. I’m actually glad there are alternate key server environments that help meet this need even if I don’t like other things about said key servers.