sks-devel

Re: 6 million

From: Stefan Claas
Subject: Re: 6 million
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 00:07:49 +0200

Todd Fleisher wrote:

> > On Apr 14, 2020, at 14:32, Stefan Claas <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know why they are saying this, but if you would download my CA
> > certified public key block from their server, the CA sig3 is on my public
> > key block.
>
> If I had to guess, I’d say they allow you to upload your own public key and
> don’t strip away any third party signatures you may have included in your
> upload. So if I wanted to sign your key I would have to do so, then send it
> to you to re-upload and re-confirm before it would be published. While this
> likely isn’t a big deal for the more tech-savvy folks out there who are
> already familiar with GPG, others would struggle with or just ignore it and
> not have any 3rd party signatures.
>
> > Another thing I like about the Mailvelope keyserver is that when you upload
> > your public key block, they will send you an encrypted email, with a
> > validation link, so that your public key block is only available there,
> > once you have confirmed the link.
>
> This is what Hagrid does as well, minus the encrypted email part. And while
> it does provide a useful privacy/control function, it does increase the
> complexity (or at least the user touch points) as mentioned above.

One thing about Mailvelope could also be said. For non-savvy PGP users which
are using the Firefox, or Chrome extension Mailvelope. They do not have a
learning phase with their key server, because the plug-in, which does not
require a GnuPG installation, does those things automatically IIRC, so the
above only would be the case if users are using tools like GnuPG with
Thunderbird and Enigmail etc.

Thus the Mailvelope browser extension is IMHO also a good way for users with
only a free GMail etc. web email account.

Regards
Stefan

--
Signal (Desktop) +4915172173279