[BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: [BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:05:30 +0100

Alexander E. Patrakov p??e v P? 28. 12. 2007 v 21:47 +0500:
> speechd-up contains the following code to detect whether the message
> from the kernel (speakup) contains one non-space character and thus
> should be treated as a character, not as general text:

Hi Alexander,

the current code used for character detection is not a good
solution -- it only make guesses as to whether the message
represents a keypress or not, because Speakups communication
doesn't distinguish between keypresses and ordinary texts.
As guesses, they will always fail in certain situations.

Thanks for the excelent description of the problem. I think
it is easy to modify the code so that the situation described
also fits in, so I hope to do and test it this week.

> And BTW, with the current choice of espeak as the default output
> module, sending the KEY command in the say_single_character() doens't
> work (produces silence for some characters), while the CHAR command
> does work.

Producing silence for certain KEY events is not right. I'll look
into what is going wrong and where.

Thank you,
Hynek Hanke