[BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: [BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:17:52 +0100

> And still, single non-ASCII characters are not detected correctly.

Ok, I didn't realize that should be dealing with UTF-8 after
moving the encoding conversion from one place to another.
I hope it is fixed now in CVS.

As for Speakup documentation about the /dev/softsynth protocol,
I don't think there is any.  AFAIK, the protocol is losely based
on DecTalk commands. I've seen speakup sending messages
containing only spaces and newlines. I don't know if there are
situations when it could send also other whitespace characters.

Good news is that both problems in eSpeak were fixed already.
KEY reads punctuation keys as well and CHAR does not contain
leading silence anymore, so it is fast enough for typing.

You can download latest developement espeak from:

http://espeak.sf.net/test/latest.html

With regards,
Hynek Hanke