[BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages

From: Alexander E . Patrakov
Subject: [BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:05:26 +0500

2008/1/18, Hynek Hanke <hanke at brailcom.org>:
> Ok, I didn't realize that should be dealing with UTF-8 after
> moving the encoding conversion from one place to another.
> I hope it is fixed now in CVS.

I will test it tomorrow (22:05 here).

> As for Speakup documentation about the /dev/softsynth protocol,
> I don't think there is any.  AFAIK, the protocol is losely based
> on DecTalk commands. I've seen speakup sending messages
> containing only spaces and newlines. I don't know if there are
> situations when it could send also other whitespace characters.

OK.

> Good news is that both problems in eSpeak were fixed already.
> KEY reads punctuation keys as well and CHAR does not contain
> leading silence anymore, so it is fast enough for typing.

There was one more problem reported: it doesn't say anything for "CHAR
[" and some other punctuation in languages other than English (try,
e.g., German). IMHO, if a given language description doesn't specify
how to announce a character, Espeak should fall back to English and
possibly use the Unicode data from the "unicode-data" package from
http://www.unicode.org/ as a last resort.

Given that you are a better authority for the Espeak developer than
me, could you please properly reformulate and forward this bug report?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov