[BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: [BUG] speechd-up fails to detect one-character messages
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:07:39 +0100

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2008/1/7, Hynek Hanke <hanke at brailcom.org>:
>
> Just for your information: this is not only for keypresses (that one
> already knows given not-really-fat fingers, and keys are not even
> echoed by default in yasr), but also for commands to examine
> characters on the screen (that are vital for getting information, and
> that's why CHAR may be more appropriate than KEY - is there any method
> to distinguish between these two cases?).

Hi Alexander,

No, there is no method to distinguish between these two cases in Speakup,
at least I do not know of any. I was formerly thinking that KEY would
be a more appropriate solution in this situation, but after rethinking it
again, I believe you are right, so I changed KEY to CHAR in CVS.

KEY however needs to be fixed in eSpeak anyway as this also affects
other application that can do the distinction. One more problem I came
around -- using CHAR instead of KEY makes the sound much less
responsive with eSpeak (CHAR seems very slow compared to KEY,
which is quite strange for they are very similar functionality). I don't
know yet what is the reason exactly,

I tried to cleanup the code in CVS (http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-up)
and make the single character handling a bit more general, so now this
should work and not interfere with controll commands. Could you
please test if it is fixed now?

Thank you,
Hynek Hanke