Question about Speech-dispatcher

From: C . M . Brannon
Subject: Question about Speech-dispatcher
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:35:43 -0600

> Also, i have heared that it is recommended to run SD as another user and not
> root. What is the best way of setting up this if
>  i have compiled this from source?

First, create a directory, ~/.speech-dispatcher/
Make a subdirectory named "conf",
and copy your config files from /etc/speech-dispatcher/ (or wherever they live
on your box) to ~/.speech-dispatcher/conf/
Here's what my ~/.speech-dispatcher/conf/ directory looks like:
clients/
modules/
speechd.conf

You may want to change the port on which Speech Dispatcher listens.  Do that
in conf/speechd.conf.
I have the line
Port 6562
in mine.  Unfortunately, spd-say seems to want to talk to port 6560, and
there isn't a command-line option to change that behavior.
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)
Other programs do allow you to specify a port.
If you're just running one instance of Dispatcher, using a non-standard
port isn't worth the trouble, IMHO.

This is documented in the info file that comes with Dispatcher.  I set
it up just now on my box, and the whole process took a minute or two.

Good luck,
-- Chris