Question about Speech-dispatcher

From: Hermann
Subject: Question about Speech-dispatcher
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:23:54 +0100

I had to compile SD from the source for my Ubuntu laptop, because SD
0.6.3tested always crashs when an updatedb was performed in the background.
Getting the packages from the Hardy branch was not possible, because
dpkg indicated, that various core packages were missing.
I succeeded in building and setting up SD 0.6.6, although it was a lot
of work.
But one question remains: I had to add a user "speech-dispatcher" to my
system by using the adduser command. This adds a regular user with
password, homedir and all privileges of a common user.
I think this isn't necessary for SD, but I don't know how to add a user
with less privileges, a kind of shadow user that only exists by name.
Is this possible, and if so, how can I perform this?
Hermann