Question about Speech-dispatcher

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Question about Speech-dispatcher
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:32:28 +0100

Hello,

just to avoid confusion, what Chris describes is running Speech
Dispatcher from your user's account.

There is also another option to run it as a system wide service and this
can also be run as another user (not root), most often as the user named
`speech-dispatcher'.

My impression is, that you might have asked for later option, since this
is what I suggested on the Orca list.  But if you are not experienced in
system administration, I wouldn't recommend it.  You might be better
waiting until 0.6.6 gets to Debian testing and install it from a package
which will handle all the setup for you.  In the meantime, you can run
SD as root (on your own risk <smile>) or do what Chris recommends.

If you still think you would like to setup 0.6.6 compiled from source as
a system wide service running as `speech-dispatcher' user, just ask again...

Best regards

Tomas