Speechd-el Customization

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Speechd-el Customization
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:36:10 +0200

    SH> in the info pages, it says that there should be a 'speechd-el'
    SH> customization group.  Alas I cannot find any such group.  I
    SH> chose customize from the menu after pressing F10 and I browsed
    SH> the available groups but no speechd-el.

It's in the `Environment' subgroup.  But it's easier to access it
directly with `M-x customize-group RET speechd-el RET'.

    SH> Also, I tried the spell function and it doesn't appear to work.
    SH> I did a C-e C-l C-e w as suggested in the info page to spell the
    SH> current word and it just spoke the word again; it did not spell
    SH> it.

Indeed, it doesn't work, at least in some situations.  I can see what's
the problem but I can't see an easy way to fix it now.

Please note that spelling doesn't seem to work at all for me in Speech
Dispatcher when using eSpeak and with Festival it works only when using
recent festival-freebsoft-utils from CVS.

I think some of the spelling problems have been present unnoticed for
long time; I guess most users simply use character reading when moving
the cursor instead of using real spelling functions.  This may be your
work around until the speechd-el bug gets fixed.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal