Code reindent

From: David Csercsics
Subject: Code reindent
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:43:40 -0800

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:59:45PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I realize that by now, the indentation project has gone to master but
> I just wanted to chime in here on how emacs muddies up the tab vs
> spaces debate further by mixxing spaces and tabs to achieve some
> indentation.  I've personally prefered tabs exclusively but then emacs
> uses both depending on which mode and the size of the tab stop
> setting.  One thing that helps over all is emacspeak can tell you the
> indentation of each line as you scroll down through a file and gedit
> under Orca will also support this behavior so it is fairly easy to
> track indentation unless you're a vi user <smile> and I don't know if
> there is a way to track indents easily using native speakup.

Pressing keypad 8 twice quickly will give you the indentation of the
current line in Speakup. I'm a vi user usually but I have messed around
with emacs in the past and might bother with it again just because I
got put off by the strange lisp dialect so never really put that much
effort into learning the thing.  I've always been told by people visually
inspecting my code to use tabs instead of spaces because they're easier to work
with and they don't get the indentation wrong if they're displayed in a
different font. I would think that it should be possible to make sure emacs
doesn't mix tabs and spaces for indentation because that seems like a sily
thing to do. I'd file a bug if one of the auto indent modes was doing that. But
then how would a screenreader user know that tabs and spaces were being mixed
with tabs for indents unless they want to go review the whitespace by character
but I don't think I've ever had a reason to do that. I just use vim's auto
indent features and then nobody complains about my indentation.