Re: about RHVoice

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: about RHVoice
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 16:24:43 +0100

Hello,

илья пащук, le dim. 07 févr. 2021 17:39:18 +0300, a ecrit:
> how do you think, is it possible to make RHVoice to be included to the
> official debian repos?

This is too late for debian 11, since the freeze is already happening.

> packaging scripts for debian10 are ready and working perfectly and, I think,
> can be easily ported to the debian 11.

That could be fine, yes. I however don't have time to spend on fixing
things if that is not the case, so please do test and fix it.

Another thing, however, prevents the inclusion as it is: debian only
contains free software, and the debian/copyright files (and was noted
on the https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility-devel wiki page) mentions
that some voices have restrictions, which makes then non-free. That
won't prevent from shipping the other ones in Debian, but those with
restrictions will have to be uploaded to non-free only. debian/copyright
itself needs to be made more specific about this, "See the documents in
the voices subdirectory" is not enough, debian/copyright needs to be
self-contained as to whether something is free or not.

Concerning the voicem script, that is not how one usually do this, since
when reading the original debian/control one would think that there
is just one package, and running the build several times would add
the voice packages several times to debian/control. To avoid this, we
usually put in debian/control.in the start of the debian/control file,
and add to debian/rules a debian/control rule that (re-)generates the
debian/control file. See for instance the mig source package which does
this.

Samuel