straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] where to install the straw libs?

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] where to install the straw libs?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:53:24 +0200

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 13:13, Alastair Tse wrote:
> This leads to another question, why does straw use Makefiles rather than
> distutils? Seems like a prime candidate to use distutils because it
> doesn't involve any (C) source code compilation.

Well, the primary reason was that I know make, but I don't know
distutils :-)

There's also the thing about notification area applets. I want one at
some point, and at the moment it's not possible without using a C
library. So, at that point, we would have C code compilation.

But I'm not particulary attached to make. If people feel that replacing
it with something else would be a good idea, I probably won't oppose it,
as long as someone explains to me how it works. Of course it should be
something that's installed on most people's computers, so that pretty
much limits us to make and distutils, I guess.

--
[ Juri Pakaste / address@hidden / http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]