straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] 0.24 blockers

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] 0.24 blockers
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:22:06 +0300

Status check.

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 14:06 +0300, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> I'd like to release 0.24 ASAP.
>
> What are the things blocking it? Only the unfinished stuff, nothing new
> is going in anymore. I'll list the things I know below. First the
> regressions and acute problems, then the slightly lower priority stuff.
>
> - The error messages for feed polling failures aren't displayed anywhere
> any more. I'm not quite decided if I should resurrect the old error
> display (I really did quite like it) or fix the display of the error
> messages in the message area.

We now display an error image in the status row when the user is in a
category with an error or when the user has selected a feed with an
error. Both error messages are displayed in the tooltip.

It works ok, but I don't know if this is acceptable accessibility. Any
idea?

> - Message spew on the console.

At least some of it has been removed.

> - Subscribe dialog should be all in one window, as discussed on IRC

Done, I think?

> - When Straw is started, the focus is on the category selector. This
> interacts badly with the notification area thingy.

I removed the space shortcut from the category selector. It was kind of
weird anyway, and you can navigate between categories via the Go menu.
Once we get to Gtk+ 2.4, I'll add direct menu selection for categories,
and maybe we can get a saner widget to replace the current one too, I'm
not quite sure.

> - Add a new category, make it subscribed to an OPML file, poll: it adds
> the feeds, and polls them, but only the feeds that we weren't subscribed
> to before. It should also poll the ones we were subscribed to before.

Fixed.

> - [ ] Feed information: it should be sensitive always, I think, even if
> a feed wasn't selected. Or not?

Ok, maybe the current behaviour is ok.

> What's the status on the encoding things, like the one Ross posted? I
> really should test these myself. However, it might be a few days till I
> can do this.

So apparently these are ok?

From other messages in the same thread:

> * Try pressing the spacebar when the focus is on the category
> selector.

Nothing strange happens anymore (see above.)

> * Straw not updating the feeds on 'refresh all'. Displays the cog
> wheels, "finishes" the polling by removing the cog wheel, feed is not
> updated when it should be.

Is this a permanent condition on some feeds? Or something that happens
sporadically?

I've noticed the occasional hanging cogwheel. I'm not quite sure if it's
because of a really hung connection or because of a swallowed exception.
I think I might have to code the http_results etc functions in
FeedPoller a bit more carefully.

> Oh, and why does Straw start offline?

I think I saw that too. That's a definitely weird default. Jan?

> Oh yeah. We have no toolbar. That's silly.

We have one now.

It's done with the new Glade, though, and I suspect that it's completely
different from the old stuff. I know what you discussed here on the list
and what I discussed with Jan on IRC, but personally I'm awfully tempted
to require the new libglade and Gtk+, unless someone is willing to do
the legwork to convert the glade file to the old format and old widgets.

> Olivier has been complaining about a broken uncategorized category.
> Anyone else?

Anyone? Anyone? :-)

> We show no error messages for category polling problems. We should,
> but I still have no good ideas how to.

We do now, see above.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]