straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Re: 0.24 blockers

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: [Straw-devel] Re: 0.24 blockers
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:43:39 +1000

Juri Pakaste <address@hidden> writes:

> Status check.
>
> On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 14:06 +0300, Juri Pakaste wrote:
>> I'd like to release 0.24 ASAP.
>>
>> What are the things blocking it? Only the unfinished stuff, nothing new
>> is going in anymore. I'll list the things I know below. First the
>> regressions and acute problems, then the slightly lower priority stuff.
>>
>> - The error messages for feed polling failures aren't displayed anywhere
>> any more. I'm not quite decided if I should resurrect the old error
>> display (I really did quite like it) or fix the display of the error
>> messages in the message area.
>
> We now display an error image in the status row when the user is in a
> category with an error or when the user has selected a feed with an
> error. Both error messages are displayed in the tooltip.

Should we remove the error icon beside the feed?

> It works ok, but I don't know if this is acceptable accessibility. Any
> idea?
>
>> - Message spew on the console.
>
> At least some of it has been removed.
>
>> - Subscribe dialog should be all in one window, as discussed on IRC
>
> Done, I think?

Yes. It needs more testing love though.

>> - [ ] Feed information: it should be sensitive always, I think, even if
>> a feed wasn't selected. Or not?
>
> Ok, maybe the current behaviour is ok.
>
>> What's the status on the encoding things, like the one Ross posted? I
>> really should test these myself. However, it might be a few days till I
>> can do this.
>
> So apparently these are ok?

"apparently". Someone without en_* support should test it though.

>> * Straw not updating the feeds on 'refresh all'. Displays the cog
>> wheels, "finishes" the polling by removing the cog wheel, feed is not
>> updated when it should be.
>
> Is this a permanent condition on some feeds? Or something that happens
> sporadically?

This happens when Straw polls after startup. It shows the cog wheels for a
while then suddenly all stoppers are called and polling is stopped.

> I've noticed the occasional hanging cogwheel. I'm not quite sure if it's
> because of a really hung connection or because of a swallowed exception.
> I think I might have to code the http_results etc functions in
> FeedPoller a bit more carefully.

Most of it are image retrieval timeouts I think.

>> Oh, and why does Straw start offline?
>
> I think I saw that too. That's a definitely weird default. Jan?

Uhmm.. This has been fixed in the develoment line. At least not here anymore.

>> Oh yeah. We have no toolbar. That's silly.
>
> We have one now.
>
> It's done with the new Glade, though, and I suspect that it's completely
> different from the old stuff. I know what you discussed here on the list
> and what I discussed with Jan on IRC, but personally I'm awfully tempted
> to require the new libglade and Gtk+, unless someone is willing to do
> the legwork to convert the glade file to the old format and old widgets.

Go for it! It's not even 1.0 ;-)

Cheers,

--
Jan Alonzo                          <address@hidden>