Re: [Swftools-common] Cannot extract wav file from swf

From: Daniel Arteaga
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Cannot extract wav file from swf
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:55:07 +0200

Hi Chris,

[...]

Dan,

swfdump -D ens_ab.swf

gives,

[HEADER]        File version: 8
[HEADER]        File is zlib compressed. Ratio: 91%
[HEADER]        File size: 9216464
[HEADER]        Frame rate: 12.000000
[HEADER]        Frame count: 1
[HEADER]        Movie width: 1000.00
[HEADER]        Movie height: 600.00
[045]         4 FILEATTRIBUTES
[009]         3 SETBACKGROUNDCOLOR (ff/ff/ff)
[018]        31 PROTECT
[00e]   9216259 DEFINESOUND defines id 0001 (Raw little-endian 44Khz 16Bit
stereo)
[038]        15 EXPORTASSETS
                 exports 0001 as "ens_AB.wav"
[02d]         4 SOUNDSTREAMHEAD2
[00c]        97 DOACTION
                  (   47 bytes) action: Constantpool(5 entries) String:"soundDatei" String:"this"
String:"Sound" String:"ens_AB.wav" String:"attachSound"
                  (    4 bytes) action: Push Lookup:0 ("soundDatei") Lookup:1
("this")
                  (    0 bytes) action: GetVariable
                  (    7 bytes) action: Push int:1 Lookup:2 ("Sound")
                  (    0 bytes) action: NewObject
                  (    0 bytes) action: DefineLocal
                  (    9 bytes) action: Push Lookup:3 ("ens_AB.wav") int:1 Lookup:1
("this")
                  (    0 bytes) action: GetVariable
                  (    2 bytes) action: Push Lookup:0 ("soundDatei")
                  (    0 bytes) action: GetMember
                  (    2 bytes) action: Push Lookup:4 ("attachSound")
                  (    0 bytes) action: CallMethod
                  (    0 bytes) action: Pop
                  (    0 bytes) action: End
[001]         0 SHOWFRAME 1 (00:00:00,000)
[000]         0 END

and,

swfextract ens_ab.swf

Objects in file ens_ab.swf:
  [-s] 1 Sound: ID(s) 1
  [-f] 1 Frame: ID(s) 0
  [-m] 1 MP3 Soundstream

You can't extract the MP3 Soundstream - it's something that isn't yet in the
file, and thus has no ID.

   swfextract -s 1 -o sound.wav ens_ab.swf

should pull the wave file from the swf. BUT it doesn't.  You're right, there
is no visible error message to the command line, and no file written out.
Same result using swfextract from 0.9.1 and from 0.9.2.  Quite what that
reason is, I have no clue.  Maybe a corrupted file?  How was the original swf
file compiled?

I don't know how it was compiled. The swf file comes from http://www.schoeps.de/showroom/. I wanted to extract a couple of wav files to use them for demonstration purposes in an university lecture.

> Using an alternative tool, I managed to extract ens_AB.wav.  All 52 seconds
of the wind sample seem fine.

This alternative tool you mention, is it a freely available tool? If this is the case, could you point me towards it?

As a further experiment, I re-embedded it into another swf using swfc, made
sure it played back, then extracted it out again using swfextract -s.   No
issues whatsoever.  If you wish me to post my resulting swf so you can check it
also, then let me know.

I am more interested in the final wav file, thanks. I would need to extract three wav files from three corresponding swf files

Thank you very much for your help!

Daniel