synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Language issue regarding the use of Gettext

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Language issue regarding the use of Gettext
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:29:01 +0200

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:23:45PM +0200, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear Friends,
Hi,

> First of all, thank you for this marvelous piece of sofware. Synaptic
> interface improved constantly to reach a level of excellence.

Thanks a lot!

> I use Synaptic daily with great pleasure. Therefore, I would like to update
> the French translation. But ... looking at Synaptic code, I would like to
> underline a serious issue about the use of Gettext.
>
> 1) Problem
> Several times, sentences are build by the program.
>
> For example, in indexcopy.cc, line 224:
> cout << _(" Processed by using Prefix '") << Prefix <<
>                _("' and chop ") << Chop << endl;
>
> Most languages in the world, even in Europe, are ***very*** different from
> English. If you hard code an English sentences, they will not be
> translatable.
[..text skipped..]

As far as I can see, the only place where this is done is
indexcopy.cc. Half of these are debug messages that shouldn't be
translated anyway. I'll fix this in the next few days.

The rest of synaptic should be i18n ready (which is also shown by the
fact that it's already translated to quite a few languages).

I'm very happy that you plan help translations into more languages and
I'll provide every support I can. If you find more problems beside
indexcopy.cc, just let me know, but I'm not aware of more right now.

thanks,
 Michael