synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Language issue regarding the use of Gettext

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Language issue regarding the use of Gettext
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:03:09 +0200

Le Lundi 15 Septembre 2003 23:29, Michael Vogt a écrit :
> I'm very happy that you plan help translations into more languages and
> I'll provide every support I can. If you find more problems beside
> indexcopy.cc, just let me know, but I'm not aware of more right now.

OK, I just had a quick look.

1) "....Date" does not work in RTL languagues like Arabic, Persian, Hebrew.
Find another way to indent text.

2) ": will be installed". Should be "%s: will be installed" or "%d: will be
installed". This is an RTL question again.

The rule is to never build incomplete sentences or "agreegate" them using C.
There are several entries like 2).

3) ": will be upgraded to". The beginning and the end of the sentence are
missing. Should sort of "%s: will be upgraded to %s".

4) "Package that" fails to translate in several languages. See my last email.
There is no other issue but to write "Package that fail: %s", "Package that
succeed: %s", etc... As many times as choices. There is no turnaround.

The rest seems OK, but I will only be able to find the real problems during
the French translation and testing. A quick look is not enough.

Could you please fix these issues and will do a complete testing afterwards.
This would be nice! Thanks in advance, I love Synaptic.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel