Re: texi2html/makeinfo in dist

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: texi2html/makeinfo in dist
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:20:27 GMT

      texi2any --set TEXI2HTML $@

"$@"
(without being enclosed in double quotes, $@ doesn't work as intended.)

    But it is not fully compatible with texi2html.

The decision is yours, of course, but FWIW, my hunch is that it is
better not to, then.  People can keep using the existing texi2html as
they want, and when or if they need to switch to the current
implementation, they will know to expect that some changes might be
needed (to their customizations/invocations/whatever).

    and there is no difference between being called as texi2any
    or makeinfo anymore.

The default output format for texi2any is plaintext and the default for
info is makeinfo, is it not?  But if that is the only functional
difference now (which is good), I agree it doesn't matter since it's
trivial to change.

    To be honest, there is one difference, $0 appears in error messages,
    but I think it doesn't matter.

Agreed.

Thanks,