Re: texi2html/makeinfo in dist

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: texi2html/makeinfo in dist
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:33:15 GMT

    Also setting
    the paths for texi2any called as makeinfo is a bit clumsy.

Well, we've had this discussion before, but my humble experience is that
it works out best if the Perl script adapts at runtime to whatever is
available, regardless of whether it is called as "something.pl" or
"something", so that it can be called inside the source directory as
whatever without worrying about configure.  Instead of
$ tp/texi2any.pl
Can't locate Texinfo/Convert/Texinfo.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...

Anyway, despite appearances, I'm not asking to revisit all that now :).
What you did to make it work for the man pages seems ok to me.  I just
made a couple variables to make the source lines shorter.

To make help2man do the right thing, I made texi2any output Usage lines
for both makeinfo and texi2any as hardwired strings.  This is arguably
less good than using $0, but it does match what the C programs
(suboptimally) do.  It could surely be fixed in other ways, but I wanted
to get on to other things.