3 Offers

From: Randall Sawyer
Subject: 3 Offers
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:07:09 -0400

Offer 1): Command and Variable Filters: Not all commands are employed by info, tex, docbook, xml, html or plaintext. I am willing to continue to learn which of each of the texinfo commands and configurable variables influence each of the output formats - and then to edit the existing texinfo documentation to reflect this. I certainly would have found this useful to know already at this point.

Offer 2): Syntax Validator: Provide a texinfo file syntax validator to assist authors of texinfo files. At this point, I have have written a simple validator of texinfo files. Running either 'makeinfo' or my validator on 120 initial (beginning with "\input texinfo") files, I have discovered a handful of syntactical errors. Among these are a single line containing "@end address@hidden", a block beginning with "@code" and ending with "@end code" ('@code' is not a block command), use of '@verbatim{|...|}' when the author meant '@verb{|...|}', and incomplete '@defmac ...' and '@defmacx ...' lines continued by a single '@' line continuation. Upon reaching these line continuations, 'makinfo' collects them as errors and fails.

Offer 3): Accents: Update all possible accented glyphs to reflect current unicode. The documentation of texinfo does not indicate which arguments produce defined results for accent commands. Some - but not all possible - accented entites are defined in 'texinfo.dtd'. After extracting all texinfo commands into a spreadsheet, as I moved the various blocks of cells around and made notes, I used a desktop unicode browser to locate well over 200 accented glyphs which are modified ascii characters or ligatures or standalone accents. I am not sure how many of these are represented by TeX commands. I am willing to find out.