Re: 3 Offers

From: Randall Sawyer
Subject: Re: 3 Offers
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 11:52:54 -0400

Thank you for your response.
Offer 1): Command and Variable Filters: Not all commands are employed by
info, tex, docbook, xml, html or plaintext.
I am willing to continue to learn which of each of the texinfo commands and
configurable variables influence each of the output formats - and then to
edit the existing texinfo documentation to reflect this. I certainly would
have found this useful to know already at this point.
The manual does state in the documentation for some commands how those
commands are supported in various output formats.  If there are gaps
they could certainly be filled if it was useful for the reader of the
manual to know about.
I am a visual learner - as opposed to linguistic. It would help me if there were classification symbol(s) near each command in the documentation. In the interest of helping others like me, I will add these symbols to the existing documentation and share them via git to see if the team finds the edit worthy of adoption.

Offer 2): Syntax Validator: Provide a texinfo file syntax validator to
assist authors of texinfo files.
At this point, I have have written a simple validator of texinfo files.
Running either 'makeinfo' or my validator on 120 initial (beginning with
"\input texinfo") files, I have discovered a handful of syntactical errors.
Among these are a single line containing "@end address@hidden", a block
beginning with "@code" and ending with "@end code" ('@code' is not a block
command), use of '@verbatim{|...|}' when the author meant '@verb{|...|}',
and incomplete '@defmac ...' and '@defmacx ...' lines continued by a single
'@' line continuation. Upon reaching these line continuations, 'makinfo'
collects them as errors and fails.
Doesn't makeinfo already detect these errors?

The '@' line continuation is supported and documentated in the manual
for the definition commands only.
Yes. Alright. I took a closer look. For the most part, the syntactic errors I found have been merely careless misuse of the markup. For example, a @address@hidden code block within a @verbatim block - which of course makeinfo copied without parsing. After re-reading the section on line continuation, I can see that the author had the end-of-line '@' inside of curly brackets.
Offer 3): Accents: Update all possible accented glyphs to reflect current
unicode.
The documentation of texinfo does not indicate which arguments produce
defined results for accent commands. Some - but not all possible - accented
entites are defined in 'texinfo.dtd'. After extracting all texinfo commands
into a spreadsheet, as I moved the various blocks of cells around and made
notes, I used a desktop unicode browser to locate well over 200 accented
glyphs which are modified ascii characters or ligatures or standalone
accents. I am not sure how many of these are represented by TeX commands. I
am willing to find out.
We can add support for more accented characters if it is possible to do
so. There is a limit to how many characters can be supported in TeX as
they may not be supported with the fonts that come with TeX.
In that case, I volunteer to hunt for any - if any - neglected accent glyphs.