Re: 3 Offers

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: 3 Offers
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 08:00:10 +0100

On 27 July 2017 at 22:39, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     they may not be supported with the fonts that come with TeX.
>
> In my experience, nearly any glyph is available in some TeX font or
> another, or can be constructed (for decades now, long predating
> Unicode). Even just the core TeX distribution has vast character coverage.
>
> What's certainly true is that the basic CM + (sort of) EM fonts that we
> use in texinfo.tex are restricted in their coverage to, for the most
> part, European languages. Since we have never figured out a good way to
> load and combine arbitrary font families in texinfo.tex. But that is not
> TeX's problem, it's ours. --best, karl.

Somebody already extended texinfo.tex to process Japanese with XeTeX
and LuaTeX, so I am sure it is possible for other languages to be
supported if there is a need - in fact, it may already be possible. I
don't think it is necessary to do a lot of work to support every
Unicode character with texinfo.tex with the basic TeX engine.