Re: [Texmacs-dev] RE: Texmacs segfault

From: Stéphane Payrard
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] RE: Texmacs segfault
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:00:57 +0200

On (13/10/02 14:18), Felix Breuer wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] RE: Texmacs segfault
> From: Felix Breuer <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Date: 13 Oct 2002 14:18:01 +0200
>
> > > Commenting out the first two, three or four functions in basic.cc made
> > > TeXmacs only more unstable. Under these conditions I got segfaults also
> > > when moving the cursor with the arrow keys. Using the custom new and
> > > delete operators from basic.cc TeXmacs crashed only when saving
> > > (only when the file is actually written to the disk, and the changes
> > > *are* saved before the segfault occurs). I append a(nother) trace (see
> > > below). I also filed a bug report with the Gentoo distribution since
> > > this problem may well be ditro-specific.
> >
> > This really makes me think that the gcc 3.2 has not been installed
> > correctly. Notice that this may even be the case for the standard gcc
> > which is shipped with certain distributions. In the past, we already
> > had serious problems with gcc 3.0.
>
> gcc 3.2 is the default compiler for Gentoo 1.4. What does "has not been
> installed correctly" mean exactly? What can go wrong and where could I
> look for a solution?

When, I come to think of it, I had the same problem (crash at saving
time) a few weeks ago on Mandrake cooker. It disappeared when updating
to a later cooker version.  I don't know what was the difference.

gcc 3.2 is fairly new, so the jury is still
out to determine what is the cause of some other problems.
My bet is that some bugs just uncover other latent ones.

The problem when Joris allocation stuff is in is still there.
I wish we had a C++ guru on board.

Thx for your feedback, Felix.

PS: if it can help, here what says gcc about its configuration.

gcc -v Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs Configured with:
../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared
--enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long
--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java
--host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-2mdk)