Re: [Texmacs-dev] Translations

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Translations
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:37:47 +0100 (MET)

> I've finished the Finnish translation of the TeXmacs strings,
> english-finnish.scm can be downloaded from
>
> http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~tpikonen/texmacs/english-finnish.scm

Great! Thanks a lot for this important effort.
I have included support for Finnish in the next release.

> The translation is mostly complete, though I'm sure there are lots of stupid
> mistakes due to wrong context. I hope the translation gets integrated in the
> sources as soon as possible and the Finnish language gets enabled, so I can
> fix these errors.

That is fine.

> As David suggested, I did the translation with the aid of Kbabel and the
> po-compendium from the KDE-project, after first translating the scheme file
> to po with dictool. These were really great tools which I can recommend to
> people who are doing translations to other languages.

OK. It would be nice if someone could generate files for the translations
which exist in the KDE project for the major not yet supported languages,
so that we give this to anyone who wishes to take care of the rest.

It may be a good idea to do this for the already supported languages too.
First of all, because some of these start to bit outdated or even no
longer maintained. Secondly, because it might be interesting to compare
our translations with other existing translations.

> If there's anything else to be done with the Finnish localization, please
> let me know.

I just would like to know which accented characters you use in Finnish,
I noticed a lot of ä's and ö's; are there any others?

Please also check whether hyphenation works correctly for Finnish texts
as soon as the new release will be out.

I also tried to find an aspell dictionary for Finnish, but without success.
It might be a good idea to write the maintainers of the Finnish ispell
package about this. Since I do not longer use ispell, I have not tested
the spell checker.

Once more, many thanks,

Joris