Re: [Texmacs-dev] texmacs colors

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] texmacs colors
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:52:10 +0100 (MET)

> Another issue about colors: TeXmacs does not use the background_pixel
> WindowAttribute property. If that attribute is set and the window
> needs repainting, X automatically repaints the window to that
> color. The window is later explicitely repainted by the program (here
> TeXmacs). The background_pixel scheme helps to maintain the illusion
> of a physical tool. Currently when the repainting is slow we get
> "ghost tool(s)", the image of tool(s) that covered TeXmacs stay there
> until TeXmacs can repaint it.  The illusion is best maintained with
> wdigets based toolkit because each widget has its own background color
> but TeXmacs will win a lot by using this feature.
>
> I tried once to fix that but did not get the expected result because
> of my lack of Colormap understanding.

TeXmacs uses an even better scheme: a custom method for quick repaint.

Brutally restoring to the background color is very bad, because it
causes a lot of flickering. The current scheme of gradual repainting
and locally restoring to the background color is more elegant.
Of course, if the computer is slow, it is not beautiful,
yet more beautiful than any alternative.