Re: [Texmacs-dev] Missing French translation in menus

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Missing French translation in menus
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:56:45 +0200 (CEST)

REMARK: Let me first of all tell that I agree with
Michele that we should stop to "decouper les cheveux
en quatre" about the French translations.
Moreover, if a particular issue has to be discussed,
then I recall that we should do that on address@hidden
This remark holds for all languages.

> >> I'd rather say "Touche verrouillage capitales".
> > I think that it should be "Verouillage majuscules",
> > which is displayed on certain keyboards.
> Well, if it is displayed Verouillage, it's fully incorrect (two rr),
> and it's a wrong translation.

Oops, I that was a typing error.
In fact, certain keyboards display "Verr Maj".
But both "Verrouillage majuscules" and "Majuscule fixe"
are fine with me.

> > In Harrap's dictionary, I found "commuter", "echanger",
> > "muter" (transmuter), "aiguiller", "brancher", "changer",
> > "orienter", "passer". We should be able to find something
> > adequate among these possibilities. Maybe "branchement"
> > for "switch".
> >> Generally, I think that "switch" is obscure even in English.
> > I think that it is very clear and accurate.
> See my explanation in post to David. Rabat is the best one I can find,
> the other ones do not convey the same ideas.

I had difficulties with translating 'switch'
into other languages too; I guess that we won't find
something fully satisfactory.

> >> "Dernière/Première diapositive suivante/précédente".
> > Very ugly. Maybe "passer au suivant, precedent, premier, dernier".
> Yes, why not. but précédent (with e acute).

Of course; I can't type e acute on this keyboard.

> > a very precise "Lecture Note" series by Springer-Verlag.
> So, that should be noted. S-V Lecture note in this case, otherwise that
> sounds like it is not translated.

Yes. I can also remove it from the menus.