Re: [Texmacs-dev] edit_main_rep::show_tree

From: Nix N. Nix
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] edit_main_rep::show_tree
Date: 25 Jun 2003 21:23:48 -0600

When I want to dump something to the screen in Scheme, I simply call
(begin (display anything) (display "\n")), where "anything" can be
anything.

I can certainly understand your frustration wrt. Scheme.  However, over
time (much time :o) ), I have found Scheme to be a very elegant language
with a very ugly syntax.  Personally, I find that every time I try to
write Scheme it simply refuses to work properly if it doesn't have a
certain level of elegance - yes, the language almost seems to /force/
you to present elegant solutions.

Now, while the solution /looks/ really ugly, if you take the plunge to
read it and grok it, you too will be amazed at its elegance.

As for counting the ))))s, I usually find myself in an editor (NEdit)
that points out matching brackets, so I can easily track which bracket
closes what.  Also, before I finalize code, I tend to format it in a
fashion that more closely resembles C code:

(function (param1 param2)
  (let*
    (
    (a (a b c))
    (g (c d e))
    )
    (cond
       ((a? b) (a b))
       (else (c))
    )
  )
)

When I'm ready to submit, I simply "crunch" the code.