Re: [Texmacs-dev] edit_main_rep::show_tree

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] edit_main_rep::show_tree
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:40:10 +0200 (CEST)

> In edit_main.cc, I see a function:
>
> edit_main_rep::show_tree()
>
> This function seems to be the one that dumps the edit tree of the
> editor.  The question is how do I call this function at runtime to see
> the edit-tree?

Just call

        (show-tree)

The result is printed to stdout. You may also use

        (the-buffer)

or

        (tree->object (the-buffer))

> I went thru the link that David recommended for Scheme.  After skimming thru
> the link, I refuse to learn Scheme.  Period.  Maybe after understanding some
> of the logic (and only if I can ever understand it), I'll create a project
> from scratch using C++ and Qt.  Scheme programmers seem to think that its a
> versatile language and has a cleaner syntax.

I recall that we mainly use scheme as an *extension language*,
because it is convenient to represent "dynamic data" in scheme
(think of the menus or keyboard bindings). I agree that the syntax
is not very pleasant for programming (at the beginning at least).
On the other hand, it is very flexible (easy to create your own
constructs) and the scheme language is really a higher level
language than C++.

I guess that one has to practice a bit the language before
understanding its advantages. I had the same reluctance
as you at the beginning.