Re: [Texmacs-dev] [ANN] My public plugin repository

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [ANN] My public plugin repository
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:01:17 +0100 (CET)

> I bet you that one or two years from now, when Arch will be better known
> and you will have been sufficiently pissed off by CVS wrongness, you
> will want to make the switch. But at this time there will be an existing
> base of CVS users and you will be stuck with it.

That is possible. But it can also be that within a few years from now
we will have developed something ourselves which is even more integrated
with TeXmacs. In fact, we are trying to employ someone in collaboration
with Saarbrucken to do exactly that. The point is that current solutions
are too much file based and carry to little structure. Ideally speaking,
a file system is just a structured document and this point of view will
be further developed in a native way inside TeXmacs.

> One of the reasons I choose to work in free software is avoiding this
> kind of nonsense. When there are good free tools (especially GNU
> projects...) for a task, there is no reason to use crappy "industry
> best-practices" tools.
>
> Please take a rational approach. What are your needs, what are the
> available tools, and which one better fits the bill?

That is exactly what I do and I came to the conclusion that nothing
fits my needs. Arch might come closest, but is far from optimal.
CVS is about the worst solution, but at least it is well known and
it will attract developers. I decided to conform to what other
users and developers expect (cf. my opinion poll). But the solution
is certainly temporary.