[Texmacs-dev] Versioning (was: My public plugin repository)

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Versioning (was: My public plugin repository)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:42:14 +0100

There is that saying about emacs:
"A great operating system, it just lacks a reasonable editor..."

Looking at that TeXmacs-versioning-system discussion somehow reminds of that:

It may well be, that some time in the future, there will be the ultimate
system to do versioning and cooperation on TeXmacs code. Of course, then,
this should be used for developing TeXmacs code.

Anyhow: the TeXmacs-system itself is a mixture of much C++-code, some guile
code, a bit of TeXmacs code in the style files and a big chunk of TeXmacs
code in the documentation.

I definitely doubt, that you'll ever come up with a versioning system for
C++-code that matches arch. Even if that could be done, TeXmacs certainly is
not the right place for such a project.

If there is any point for a native versioning system in TeXmacs, it will have
to be tailored exactly for TeXmacs code. If it even knows how to handle C++
code comfortably, it should not be called TeXmacs-versioning-system.

For that reason, I would assume, the system might be perfect for handling the
TeXmacs documentation, and maybe even scripts, cooperatively, but for the
TeXmacs-sources themselves, it will always be second to arch and similar
systems.

And now, I just hope, that nobody takes my initial line as the key to
introduce the new TeXmacsOS after all... :-)

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
______________________Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>

    Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
    Institut für Theoretische Physik III
    Staudtstr. 7  ...  D-91058 Erlangen  ...  Room No. U1.526
    Tel: +49 9131 / 85-28816  ...  Mobile: +49 179 / 7475199