[Texmacs-dev] Enerving confirmation for overwriting existing files

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Enerving confirmation for overwriting existing files
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:15:38 +0200

I'm using TeXmacs to produce LaTeX files which I then postprocess and
translate in LaTeX. This means that I have to export a file rather often
to compile the LaTeX and check whether the output is correct.

It has always enerved me to have to confirm the overwriting by typing
"yes" each time. Especially, since the status line does not exactly hit
the eye too hard, so I often forget to reconfirm the exporting.

Now, since 1.0.5.9, I suddenly see 'no' as a default answer! This means,
I have first to delete two characters before I can type three characters
to confirm something that I often do ten times in five minutes!!!

The perfect solution would be, if TeXmacs would remember that it has
itself written that file, and that it did not change since.

A good solution would be if confirmation were asked not in the status
line but in a dialog box, alowing a one-key confirmation.

A sufficient solution would be to drop the default "no" or change the
interface in such a way that typing 'y' will kill the default
characters, and make 'y' sufficient instead of the full "yes". The only
place where "yes" as confirmation is justified is stuff like formatting
your hard drive or changing the partition table. Overwriting a file is
not *that* dangerous....