Re: [Texmacs-dev] Should Emacs look-and-feel really be the default on Un

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Should Emacs look-and-feel really be the default on Unix?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:01:14 +0200

Corey Sweeney wrote:

> May I suggest instead of changing the default, making it so that uppon
> first launch of texmacs, (when it creates your config .TeXmacs
> directory), that it could pop a banner that says "setup options, like
> windows keybindings can be found in {menu path}"?

Actually, this would be the best solution: The difference between both
bindings is big enough to put such a question at start-up time.

However, the question should not call it "Windows" but refer to
"KDE/Gnome/Windows".

In any case, whoever has a personal opinion in this question should ask
what is better for TeXmacs as a whole. Everybody should be aware that
this is a matter of taste and of what you are used to use. If you as an
emacs-fan would not like to find windows-bindings at first start-up, you
can be sure that KDE/Gnome/Windows users would be rather confused about
finding Emacs bindings.

Plus: the percentage of dummies probably is somewhat lower among the
emacs-fans.