Re: [Texmacs-dev] Should Emacs look-and-feel really be the default on Un

From: bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Should Emacs look-and-feel really be the default on Unix?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 06:22:07 -0700

> For what's it is worth, I'm an "emacs-fan". However, when I used
> TeXmacs for the first time, I was quite surprised by the default Unix
> behavior, because some questions where asked in a dialog and others in
> the bottom of the main window. At that time, I felt TeXmacs behavior
> was inconsistent.

The TeXmacs 1.0.5.9 preference windows has separate categories
"Look And Feel" and "Interactive Questions." One could thus change
the default for Interactive Questions but not for Look and Feel.

I personally want emacs compatibility for control sequences
but I think an interactive question should be a popup window.
The first reason, as I stated previously, that a query to the
foot line in TeXmacs is extremely easy not to notice. This is
not the case in Emacs.

A second reason is that in TeXmacs, you often have the mouse
already in hand when the query appears, for example, after
exporting a latex file. So a justification that would be
valid in emacs - that one does not one to have to touch the
mouse when one is already at the keyboard - is not so valid
in texmacs.

Daniel Bump