Re: [Texmacs-dev] Should Emacs look-and-feel really be the default on Un

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Should Emacs look-and-feel really be the default on Unix?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:40:22 +0200

Hello,

2005/10/12, Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>:
> In any case, whoever has a personal opinion in this question should ask
> what is better for TeXmacs as a whole. Everybody should be aware that
> this is a matter of taste and of what you are used to use.

I agree.

> If you as an
> emacs-fan would not like to find windows-bindings at first start-up, you
> can be sure that KDE/Gnome/Windows users would be rather confused about
> finding Emacs bindings.

For what's it is worth, I'm an "emacs-fan". However, when I used
TeXmacs for the first time, I was quite surprised by the default Unix
behavior, because some questions where asked in a dialog and others in
the bottom of the main window. At that time, I felt TeXmacs behavior
was inconsistent.

I don't care much more than that now that I know there is a work
around. However I still consider that the default behavior should be
KDE/Gnome/Windows instead of Emacs on Unix systems, especially
considering that TeXmacs is positioned as a visual editor.

And regarding Corey suggestion, I'm not sure this is a good one. When
you start a new program, you don't know what means all those question
and usually prefer to choose the default choice.

Yours,
david