Re: [Texmacs-dev] literate programming for TeXmacs

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] literate programming for TeXmacs
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:01:58 +0100

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 18:01 -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David MENTRE wrote:
>
> >Hello Offray,
> >
> >>From what I have read about Leo, its way of working is close to other
> >literate programming tools (leo doc -> code) and quite the opposite of
> >what we would like to do, Felix and myself (code -> texmacs doc).
> >

> The nice thing about Leo is that it works both ways. You can, as
> usually, start to writing doc and insert code nodes on it, but you can
> also start with code and split it, decontruct it and reconstruct and
> extend using nodes and clones. Its really an inspiring working environment.

Yes and we definitely want to be able to go both ways as well (code <->
texmacs doc). The advantage of our current approach (in terms of
simplicity) is that all the code+doc will only reside in one place: the
source file. Leo has to do a lot of magic to read code into its tree
(writing the source files back out is much easier).

About your original suggestion: it would indeed require more work on the
Leo side. Also I imagine Leo already does support editing nodes in an
external editor (the Vim community wanted that feature pretty badly).
So with some scripting of Leo + Ion + Texmacs you might actually get
what you proposed.

I will go for what David and I have come up with, though, because it is
a much cleaner solution and it does not depend on three different (and
great!) pieced of software but only on one :)

As a matter of fact, I am amazed that there is one other person who
knows and uses Ion + TeXmacs + Leo! I always thought I was the only one,
with all of those three projects being rather non-mainstream. Foolish
me!

Regards,
Felix