Re: [Texmacs-dev] Literate Programming in TeXmacs?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Literate Programming in TeXmacs?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 01:45:41 +0200

On 05/21/2007 10:07 PM, Todd Wilson wrote:
Felix Breuer wrote:
So, having thought about both approaches I would also go for approach
(2) (as in Joris' numbering), *but* I would like to point out one severe
difficulty: generating source code makes debugging much less
convenient, as the line numbers a compiler complains about refer to the
generated code and not the TeXmacs document.

A simple solution to this would be to have the LP code environment put line numbers on the code for display.

Would you like to look for line numbers yourself if you have a computer in front of you who could be slaved to do that?

So much for the history. In recent months I have done some thinking on
LP for TeXmacs albeit without writing a single line of code. For what
it's worth I will post these "philosophical" thoughts of mine
separately.

Another useful feature would be the ability to parse compiler output and locate and/or cycle through positions in the code with errors, as the Emacs compiling modes allow one to do.

I don't think that would be terribly hard, but it is sad to hear that TeXmacs is so far away from Emacs.

And how about automatic syntax highlighting?

Oh, TeXmacs seems to be a better WORD with no support for programming?
How close is TeXmacs to Emacs? Could one perhaps reuse some .el files?

Ralf