Re: [Texmacs-dev] Literate Programming in TeXmacs?

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Literate Programming in TeXmacs?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:15:31 +0200

Hello everyone!

Yes, fbreuer.de is down and will be for some time. Thanks Joris, for
putting my code up on the TeXmacs server.

Ralf, I do not know how useful you will find my previous work, as it is
written in XSLT and Ruby and the main difficulty of making this a
proper part of TeXmacs is the wrangling of TeXmacs' scheme API (at
least that is what stopped me back then of turning this into a proper
plugin).

Also, my code has the drawback that the code parts have to be (almost)
verbatim text. I find that for a LP system in TeXmacs to appeal, it has
to make it possible to use TeXmacs' typesetting capabilities to write
"pretty" code. That is basically why I did not pursue the idea David
and I had come up with later on of keeping the code in ASCII and only
the comments in TeXmacs markup.

So, having thought about both approaches I would also go for approach
(2) (as in Joris' numbering), *but* I would like to point out one severe
difficulty: generating source code makes debugging much less
convenient, as the line numbers a compiler complains about refer to the
generated code and not the TeXmacs document.

So much for the history. In recent months I have done some thinking on
LP for TeXmacs albeit without writing a single line of code. For what
it's worth I will post these "philosophical" thoughts of mine
separately.

Regards,
Felix