Re: [Texmacs-dev] Free Software needs Free Documentation

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Free Software needs Free Documentation
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 21:07:06 +0200

Hi Martin,

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 08:01:35PM +0200, martin-kemp@brusseler.com wrote:
> On the contrary, it seems more to me that many can't stand the idea of being
> challenged.

I wonder whether you gave Donald Knuth and Leslie Lamport similar challenges,
since they set the example with their books on TeX and LaTeX
(I searched on the web, but I could not find trace of such challenges).

I don't think that they wrote a lot of free documentation on their software
by the way, contrary to what I did for TeXmacs.

And of course, since you seem to like challenges,
you are free to contribute to the documentation!

> > > It is unfortunate to see a Directeur de Recherche of CNRS and the
> > > main developer of the Gnu TeXmacs Software System, writes a guide
> > > on mastering the secrets and latest versions of Gnu TeXmacs.
> > > Even worse, the book is written in english, yet the terms of sale
> > > are given in french.

I am just complying to French law, since I happen to live in France.

> > > And with the hefty price of 50 Euros, who is he supposed to be
> > > kidding.  Because many people are not laughing or pleased - to
> > > say the least.
>
> > Please do not speak for everyone. 50€ is not very much for this
> > amount of work, and Joris definitively deserve to have some
> > financial support. And again, this book is not at all needed to
>
> > use most of TeXmacs.
>
> He should include that when applying for funds.

What are you trying to say?  Please remain polite and
make a precise point if you want to challenge me.

Best regards, --Joris