Re: [Texmacs-dev] pdf & texmacs

From: Philippe Joyez
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] pdf & texmacs
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:31:04 +0100

Hi Max,

Yes, at present we cannot ensure a reproducible image handling across
users because we use a collection of external tools that are not always
present and that can differ in version numbers. I would be very much in
favor of handling images with less variability, and independently of the
GUI. Also, in addition to the formats you mention I think we should
support svg because it is the standard vector format for the web.

In the repo, I have noticed that some work was made on a Cairo renderer
in the past, and I am surprised you do not explicitly consider this as
an option in your post. Indeed, Cairo is versatile in terms of output
formats (ps, pdf, svg, bitmap), and good libraries exist to put anything
we need onto cairo surfaces (poppler for pdf, librsvg for svg). Is there
a major roadblock that prevents using this already started Cairo
renderer to achieve what you have in mind (and support svg at the same
time)?

Best,

Philippe