Re: [Texmacs-dev] pdf & texmacs

From: Jeroen Wouters
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] pdf & texmacs
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 10:57:34 +0000

Dear Max,

On Thu, 2022-02-17 at 14:03 +0000, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

> My current attempt is to use mupdf, it is well done and we could
> include it statically. It provides PDF input and also some SVG
> support.

Though mupdf looks promising for PDF, I'm not convinced that its SVG
support is strong enough. For example, the rendering of the svg file
from WikiMedia that Phillipe mentioned recently mentioned [1] is just
as bad in mupdf as in Qt, if not worse. The other SVG file that was
reported on the texmacs-users list (on 6 Jan 2022) also renders with
the same problems as in Qt (missing markers on arrows).

The resvg library [2] could be an interesting option for SVG, as it has
a C API and wide SVG coverage [3].

Best wishes,
Jeroen

[1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Subduction-en.svg