Re: Garbage in files written with tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Garbage in files written with tramp
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:58:14 +0100

Vincent Bernat <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello !

Hi Vincent,

> When I  write a file with tramp  with methode sudo alone,  the file is
> partly filed with garbage. Here is the revelant part of debug buffer :
>
> # Encoding region...
> # Encoding region using function `base64-encode-region'...
> # Decoding region into remote file
> /sudo:address@hidden:/etc/cups/cupsd.conf...
> $ mimencode -u -b >/etc/cups/cupsd.conf <<'EOF'
> # Sending data to remote host...
> $ IwojICIkSWQ6IGN1cHNkLmNvbmYuaW4sdiAxLjE0IDIwMDQvMDIvMjUgMjA6MTQ6NTEgbWlrZSBF

[...]

> YXRpb24+CgojCiMgRW5kIG9mICIkSWQ6IGN1cHNkLmNvbmYuaW4sdiAxLjE0IDIwMDQvMDIvMjUg
> MjA6MTQ6NTEgbWlrZSBFeHAgJCIuCiMK
>
> # Sending end of data token...
> $ EOF
> # Waiting for remote host to process data...
> Warning: base64 decoder saw premature EOF!
>
> When I launch the same command by hand, I don't have any problem and I
> don't get the  base64 decoder error. But I am not  really sure of what
> is really sent. How could I debug this ?

I've tried to reproduce, also with encoding via `base64-encode-region',
and decoding via `mimencode -u -b'. No problem.

I've even decoded the data you've provided manually, saved the
resulting file, copied it to "/sudo::/tmp", and compared your and my
debug buffer. The encoded data are identical. Strange.

Could you, please, tell the emacs-version, the tramp-version, and the
metamail version you are using? For me, it is Emacs 21.3.50, Tramp
2.0.47 (mostly), and (Debian) metamail 2.7-46.

Best regards, Michael.