Re: Garbage in files written with tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Garbage in files written with tramp
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:38:01 +0100

Vincent Bernat <address@hidden> writes:

> I am using Debian unstable with a snapshot of Emacs CVS.
>
>  - Emacs   21.3.50  with   multi-tty   patch  (the   last  change   in
>    lisp/Changelog is dated 2005-02-04 by Jay Belanger)
>  - Tramp  from this  CVS  (but I  have  also tried  Tramp 2.0.47  from
>    Debian)
>  - metamail 2.7-46
>
> Note that  I have  successfully decoded the  data of the  debug buffer
> with mimencode -u -b too.

Hmm, everything looks fine. Maybe you could check which version of
mimencode is present to your root account, because it seems to fail
decoding there.

> Can I use something else instead  of mimencode ? Is it possible to get
> the value of all variables in the environment ?

The most simple workaround would be to use an out-of-band method like
scp.

And if you have courage, you could debug. `tramp-handle-write-region'
is yours ...

Best regards, Michael.