Re: Garbage in files written with tramp

From: Vincent Bernat
Subject: Re: Garbage in files written with tramp
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:46:26 +0100

OoO En ce début d'après-midi nuageux du mercredi 09 février 2005, vers
14:19, address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) disait:

> Sorry for jumping in so late.  Are you reading or writing a file, and
> is the mimencode running locally or remotely?  (Well, you are using
> sudo, I think, so it's difficult to say which one is local and which
> one is remote.  But I hope you understand what I mean.)

I am  writing a file.  The mimencode is  running remotely (as  root in
this case).

> Frobbing the variable tramp-chunksize means that Emacs sends its
> output to the shell more slowly.  Hm.

> Also, the value 2000 works for you, but normally, people need to
> choose a value like 500.  So perhaps the test doesn't catch this
> situation: for you, it works to send 2000 bytes at a time, but the
> test only tries to send 1000.

I have chosen the value of 2000 because when I use my modified version
of mimencode, I  see that chunks of characters  are discarded every 50
lines (which is  about 4000 characters). 2000 is  a safety value. 3000
works too.

> Perhaps you could try the test with a larger number of bytes, say
> 10,000?

I  have tried,  this  works fine  with  very large  values. Even  with
100000. Moreover,  the problem  only happens for  one machine.  When I
edit  remote files, I  don't have  any problem.  When I  use something
like    /multi:ssh:otherstation:ssh:mystation:sudo::/,   the   problem
appears too.

I will test with Emacs 21 from unstable when I get some time.
--
IT DOES NOT SUCK TO BE YOU
IT DOES NOT SUCK TO BE YOU