Re: Hanging at mime-encode on Win2K -to- Tru64

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Hanging at mime-encode on Win2K -to- Tru64
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:10:16 +0200

Nelson E Ingersoll <address@hidden> writes:

>    I can report that, as far as Tru64 v4.0d is concerned, setting
> tramp-chunksize to 127 works for me.  If there are other tests, or if
> you wish me to provide one or more debugging logs please let me know.  I
> am happy, no delighted, to help the community.

It is good that you have now found a value that works.  You seem to
think that there is a size limit of 127 somewhere.  Perhaps that is
not the case, and it is just a matter of time.  If you would like to
investigate further, you could try to tweak the time it waits after
each chunk.  With a larger wait time between chunks, it should be
possible to increase the chunksize somewhat.

Currently, it sleeps for 0.1 seconds between chunks.  You can find the
sleep-for call in tramp.el, in the function tramp-send-string.  You
can just go to that file, edit the 0.1 into something else (0.2,
perhaps, or 0.5 or 1.0) and then hit C-M-x with point still inside the
defun.  Then you can try again if a larger value of tramp-chunksize
works.

You should kill the *tramp/foo* and the *debug tramp/foo* buffers
between attempts, but other than that no restart of any kind should be
required -- just tweak the defun, tweak the tramp-chunksize value,
kill the buffers, and try again.  That is the beauty of an interactive
environment like Lisp -- very rapid tweak and try cycles :-)

You can use M-: (setq tramp-chunksize 42) RET to change the value of
tramp-chunksize.  Note that I really mean M-: and not M-x.

Kai