Re: how to get bash_profile out of the way?

From: Rodrigo Amestica
Subject: Re: how to get bash_profile out of the way?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 18:43:58 -0400

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:17:10 +0200,
Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rodrigo Amestica <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi Rodrigo,

>> I have updated to 2.2.5 and now it works better, but there is still
>> one artifact. My prompt consists of two lines: path to current
>> directory followed by a new-line character and then followed by the
>> more standard 'VER address@hidden >' (whence VER is the value of an
>> environment variable that remembers me my application version).

> In the traces you have sent I see

> Last login: Mon Jun  4 10:54:42 2012 from trauko.cv.nrao.edu

> Hi Master! Welcome to comp1 (COMP).

> PROJECTSW_RELEASE=SW-10.1
> LINUX_HOME=/project/SW-10.1/rtlinux
> RTOS_HOME=/project/SW-10.1/rtos
> SWROOT=/project/SW-10.1/SWSW
> SW_CDB=/home/isis/frodo/cvs/project/project2/COMP/HEAD/CORR/config/Simulation
> SW_LOG_STDOUT=3
> INTROOT=/home/isis/frodo/introot/10.1/COMP/HEAD
> INTLISTROOT=/home/isis/projectmgr/INTLIST-HEAD
> MODULES=/home/isis/frodo/cvs/project/project2/COMP/HEAD
> MANAGER_REFERENCE=
> lp -d RICOH-Aficio-MP-C3001 -o sides=two-sided-long-edge~

> HEAD address@hidden >

looking at my original message I see that the empty line in your reply
looks different. In my original message I see the following instead:

..
lp -d RICOH-Aficio-MP-C3001 -o sides=two-sided-long-edge
~

HEAD address@hidden >
10:55:02.247774 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Found remote shell prompt on
`comp1'
..

Do you see the '^B~', next an empty line and next the prompt?

In real life, on an X terminal my login prompt looks like this:

..
~
HEAD address@hidden >
..

That is, frodo is standing at his home in comp1.

I have now also realized that 'make' on the remote directory does not
work as well with 2.2.5. But probably understanding why the prompt
gets mixed in grep's output would also explain the problem with
'make'.

> The last line is as explained by you. But I don't see the "path to
> current directory followed by a new-line character".

>> I do not see my bash_profile salute anymore, but the first line of the
>> command output is preceded (in the same line in the buffer) by the
>> second line of my prompt, and F12 or mouse clicking would not work on
>> it (e.g. when the command was grep).

> Could you, please, produce new traces? Maybe with tramp-verbose set to
> 10, which allows more detailled analysis.

Running on 2.2.5 I have produced the 'grep' verbose output as
before. This time I'm attaching a file with it, just to be sure that
you are getting exactly what I see.

thanks,
 Rodrigo